This gently spiced cake is the perfect pudding for Mother’s Day lunch. The syrup gives the bake an extra orange hit whilst keeping the crumb nice and moist.
Prep time 10 mins | Bake time 25 mins | Makes 1 medium cake
150g self-raising flour
150g caster sugar
150g unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
3 large eggs
Zest of 1 orange, plus the juice of ½
½ tsp ground ginger
½ tsp mixed spice
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
For the Glaze:
50g caster sugar
Juice of ½ an orange
150g crème fraiche
- Pre-heat the oven to 180˚C. Grease and line at 20cm spring-form cake tin.
- Place the butter and sugar into the bowl of a free-standing mixer and beat until light and fluffy (you could also use a hand-held electric whisk).
- Add in the eggs, one at a time, and beat until well combined.
- Fold in the flour, spices orange juice and zest and then decant the mixture into the prepared baking tin.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Make the syrup by heating together the orange juice and sugar until bubbling and slightly reduced.
- As soon as the cake comes out of the oven, make indents in the surface with a fork and pour over the syrup. Leave to cool completely in the tin before spreading over crème fraiche and orange zest to serve.