Sometimes simple is best, and you can’t go wrong with basmati rice, spices, and vegetables! This vegetable pulao is the perfect mid-week meal for a pick-me-up.
200g Kohinoor Gold Basmati Rice
1 carrot, chopped
75g green beans, chopped
2 tbsp oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 cinnamon stick
1 bay leaf
1/2 onion, chopped
1 small green chilli, chopped
1 tbsp crushed ginger
1 tbsp crushed garlic
2 large tomatoes, chopped
1 orange pepper, chopped
1 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp garam masala
Fresh coriander to serve
- Wash the rice under water until the water runs through clear and leave to soak for 20-30 minutes
- In a large saucepan, add the oil and heat. When hot, add the cumin seeds and let them sizzles for 2 minutes.
- Then add the cinnamon stick, cloves, cardamom, bay leaf and fry until you can smell the aromas.
- Add the onions and reduce the heat and fry until soft.
- Add the chilli, ginger, and garlic and fry for 1 minutes. Then add in the tomatoes and pepper and mix.
- Add in the chilli powder, turmeric, ground coriander, and garam masala and mix well.
- Add in the carrot, green beans, and peas and fry for a couple of minutes.
- Drain the rice and add into the pan, then add the 400ml water.
- Bring the saucepan to a rolling boil then put a lid on the pan, bring the temperature down low and allow the rice to cook for 15 minutes.
- After cooking, take the saucepan off the heat but leave the lid on for 5 minutes.
- Using a fork, fluff up the rice and serve with fresh coriander.
Kohinoor Gold Basmati Rice
Each pack of Kohinoor Gold Basmati Rice contains specially selected longer grains that have been nurtured by the snow-fed waters of the Himalayas